Arugula Pesto Pasta Recipe
A delicous plant based dinner or lunch idea that is super quick, easy and tasty. This arugula pesto pasta recipe is a winner for all palates.
- 250 g Whole wheat penne pasta
- 100 g Arugula
- 40 g Walnuts
- 45 g Pine Nuts
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 handfuls Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper Deseeded and Diced
- 2 cloves Garlic Minced
- 3 Onions Diced
- 5 Sun dried tomatoes Drained
- Salt & Pepper To season
- Cook the pasta according to instrtions on the packaging.
- Without using any oil, heat up a non-stick pan over a medium heat. Add the pine nuts and toast them, until they are slightly browned. Set aside in a small bowl.
- To make the pesto, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan and sauté 1 onion, until soft. Transfer the onion to the bowl of a food processor and add half of the arugula, almost all of the basil, ¾ of the roasted pine nuts, walnuts, salt, pepper, and a further 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Blitz together to form a thick paste.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the pan and sauté the remaining 2 onions and the bell pepper.Cook for 5 minutes over a low heat.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for another 1 minute. Drain the pasta and add it to the pan alongwith the pesto and sun dried tomatoes.
- Serve immediately topped with the remaining arugula and pine nuts, and garnish with the remaining basil leaves.
Serving: 1personCalories: 499kcalCarbohydrates: 54gProtein: 13gFat: 27gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 10gMonounsaturated Fat: 11gSodium: 14mgPotassium: 482mgFiber: 8gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 734IUVitamin C: 66mgCalcium: 81mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!