Asian seitan recipe
Are you a vegan looking for a delicious and protein-packed meal? Seitan, a popular food in Asian cuisine, is full of flavor and has a surprisingly high protein content of 21 grams per 100-gram serving. In this recipe I will show you how to make a divine Asian seitan dish in just a few simple steps. After trying this Asian seitan recipe, you'll never want to go back to your old vegan dishes!
For the sauce
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- 3 clove garlic minced
- ⅓ tsp Chinese five spice
- ⅓ tsp red pepper flakes
- 120 ml tamari
- 125 g coconut sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp cold water
For the seitan
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 450 g seitan, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 3 green onions sliced
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 head broccoli flortes
- Make the sauce by heating the olive oil in a small pot over medium heat, add the ginger and garlic, stirring constantly. Then add the Chinese five spice and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the tamari and coconut sugar to the pot and stir well. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and let the sauce simmer gently until the coconut sugar has dissolved and the sauce is slightly reduced, roughly 5-7 minutes. Continue to stir the sauce occasionally to stop it from sticking.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and cold water, then add it to the sauce and stir through. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes, until the sauce has thickened slightly. Then reduce the heat to the lowest setting and simmer until ready to add to the seitan.
- To cook the seitan, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the seitan and cook, stirring frequently, for 4-5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the sauce, stirring to coat all of the seitan pieces in the sauce.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Serve the seitan hot with rice and steamed broccoli. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.
Serving: 1personCalories: 529kcalCarbohydrates: 79gProtein: 35gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 6gSodium: 2263mgPotassium: 612mgFiber: 6gSugar: 24gVitamin A: 998IUVitamin C: 136mgCalcium: 116mgIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!