Chickpea Tikka Masala Recipe
A cracking curry for plant-based eaters.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ red onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tbsp fresh ginger
- salt & pepper
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper (reduce to 1 tsp.for less heat)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1½ tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 800 g tomato sauce
- 450 g canned chickpeas drained
- 240 ml canned coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add in the onion, ginger and garlic, lower the heat and season with salt and pepper. Continue for about 4 minutes until the onions are translucent and the garlic and ginger are deliciously fragrant.
- Then add in the turmeric, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, garam masala and paprika. Stir to combine. Next introduce the tomato paste and a splash of water and cook for 4 minutes.
- Next, grab the tomato sauce and add it to the pot and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with the coconut sugar a further 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of black pepper. Then blend it for a few minutes until smooth, then pop it back into the pot.
- Add the chickpeas to the pot and stir to mix. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low for 10 minutes. Half cover the pot with a lid to allow the steam to escape.
- Pour in the coconut milk and stir to combine into a creamy curry. Allow to simmer for 3 minutes then season to your taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and squeeze lime juice over your curry and stir through. Serve with bread, rice or both!
Serving: 1personCalories: 193kcalCarbohydrates: 19gProtein: 5gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 10gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 954mgPotassium: 545mgFiber: 6gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 742IUVitamin C: 12mgCalcium: 54mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!