This meatball hoagie recipe is extremely versatile and freezes well. You can make 4 to 6 two-to-three meatball hoagies at once. They are also mouthwatering served over a warm bowl of spaghetti or on their own with a crisp green salad for a lighter option.
Tip: The secret to retaining the cheese sticks inside the meatballs whilst cooking is to press firmly whilst shaping the meatballs with your hands. If this is done you “seal” the cheese inside with the meat as a crust.
Meatball Hoagie Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef (80% lean/20% fat (or greater))
- 1 lb ground pork
- ¼ large white onion, finely minced
- 3-4 cloves large cloves of garlic , finely minced
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ -½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes Optional
- 4 Pepper Jack Cheese sticks can also use Mozzarella or other easily melted cheese for filling
- 1 24 oz Jar Marinara Sauce
- 8 Hoagie Buns
- 8 slices Provolone Cheese sliced thinly
- Place and spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray in the center of a preheated oven(400°F).
- Combine thebeef, pork, onion, garlic, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, eggs, milk, Italianseasoning, and crushed red pepper flakes, if using, to a large mixing bowl.Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Do not overwork.1 lb ground beef, 1 lb ground pork, ¼ large white onion, finely minced, 3-4 cloves large cloves of garlic , finely minced, ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, ½ cup Italian breadcrumbs, 2 large eggs, ½ cup whole milk, 1 tbsp Italian seasoning, ¼ -½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Place themixture to a clean work surface and spread into a uniformly thick rectangle andcut into 12 equal-sized portions, as shown.
- Divide the cheesesticks evenly between the 12 squares and form the meat around the cheese firmly with your hands to create the meatballs. Place the finished meatballs on theprepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining sections until complete.4 Pepper Jack Cheese sticks
- Place the baking sheet on the top oven rack for 10 minutes. Remove from oven andcarefully turn each meatball with a spatula. Return to oven and bake foranother 8-10 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer reads 160°F wheninserted into the thickest part of the meatballs.Note: The meatballs will reach a safe temperature of165°F while they rest and are warmed in the marina sauce. Donot turn oven off.
- Pour the marinara sauceinto a large skillet set over medium-low heat and carefully add the meatballs.(Remove any excess grease off the meatballs with paper towels first). Simmerfor 4-5 minutes, or until the sauce is heated through, while carefully turning themeatballs to coat in the sauce.1 24 oz Jar Marinara Sauce
- Open the hoagie bunsand arrange on a lined baking sheet. Fill each bun with two or three meatballsand some of the sauce. Top each hoagie with two or three slices of Provolonecheese and place in the oven until the cheese is melted, approximately 3-5minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately with your choice of sides.Enjoy!8 Hoagie Buns, 8 slices Provolone Cheese sliced thinly