Eating Right, Made Easy
Are you tired of feeling bloated and sluggish after fast food? It’s time to make a change! Studies show that fast meals with unhealthy fats and refined carbs can negatively impact our health, leading to weight gain and an increased risk of chronic diseases. But don’t worry, you don’t have to give up fast food altogether. Making healthier choices is easier than you think; it all starts with knowing what options to choose. Here’s a five-step quick-start guide and checklist to help you out, plus my behavior change challenge.
#1 Go Fresh with Salad
Sensations Most fast food chains offer a ‘make-your-own’ salad option, a great starting point for a healthy meal. Just be mindful of the toppings and dressings you choose. Try delicious, healthy toppings: grilled chicken provides lean protein. At the same time, a medley of colorful veggies like cherry tomatoes, carrots, and cucumbers offers a crunchy, fresh bite. Top it all off with a light vinaigrette dressing, and you’ve got yourself a delicious, nutritious meal that’s good for you and satisfying for your taste buds.
#2 Sizzle, not Fry!
Say farewell to the greasy, calorie-laden fried foods and embrace the sizzle of grilled options. From juicy grilled chicken to flaky grilled fish and even flavorful grilled veggies, you’ll enjoy a meal that’s not only delicious but also good for you. Grilled foods retain more of their natural nutrients, making them a much better choice for a healthy lifestyle. Don’t compromise your health for taste. Enjoy both with grilled options, like grilled fish with your chips or grilled veggies instead of fries with your burger!
#3 Veg-ify Your Sandwiches
Making healthier choices at fast-food deli doesn’t have to mean sacrificing taste. Opt for a veggiepacked sandwich or wrap to provide fiber and essential nutrients to keep you fueled throughout the day. For a tasty twist, experiment with different greens and veggies, like mushrooms, grilled broccoli or roasted carrots. And remember to add some flavor with healthy spreads like avocado or creamy hummus. You’ll find that choosing a more nutritious fast-food veggie-packed sandwich or wrap can be both satisfying and delicious.
#4 Whole Grain Wonder
Don’t settle for bland and boring buns! Upgrade to the delicious and nutritious whole grain options that satisfy your taste buds and provide you with essential nutrients and fiber to fuel your day. Whether you prefer a soft and fluffy whole-grain bun or a crunchy wrap, you’ll enjoy the perfect balance of flavor and health benefits. Make the switch to whole grain with your takeaway and enjoy the difference!
#5 Saucy Solutions for Smarter Meals
Making healthier choices at fast-food restaurants is easy when you know what to look for. To cut down on extra calories, skip the added sauce. If you can’t imagine your sandwich, burger, or wrap without a creamy dressing, ask for it on the side so you can control the amount you use. With these simple swaps, you can enjoy a delicious and nutritious fast-food meal that’s both satisfying and healthier.
Transform Your Fast Food Choices – Checklist
- Make a list of healthy choices at your favorite fast-food restaurants.
- Plan ahead and decide what you will eat before arriving at the restaurant.
- Look at menus online instead of at the restaurant.
- Swap fries for a side salad or fruit cup.
- Swap sugar drinks for water or ice tea.
- Choose grilled options over fried.
- Load up on veggies by adding extra to your sandwich or wrap.
- Opt for whole-grain buns or wraps.
- Ask for sauces or dressings on the side and use them sparingly.
So there you have it, a simple and straightforward guide to ordering healthy options at fast food diners. Remember, it’s all about making intelligent choices and being mindful of what you’re putting into your body.
Remember: While making healthier choices is essential, it’s also important to remember that balance is key. You don’t have to give up your favorite fast food items altogether; instead, enjoy them in moderation. Use these tips to help and be mindful of portion sizes and consider splitting a meal with a friend or saving half for later.
Unleash The Power Of Small Changes For A Healthier You!
Are you now ready to make some healthier choices when it comes to fast food? It can feel daunting, but small steps lead to significant changes. Start by ordering a side salad, link it to your lunch routine, acknowledge and reward yourself, gradually add more healthy options, and repeat until it becomes a habit. Remember, habits are formed over time with repetition, so be patient with yourself, and keep up the excellent work!
Here’s a simple behavior change challenge to get you started…
Desired behavior change: To consistently order healthier options at fast food restaurants.
Unleash The Power Of Small Changes For A Healthier You
- Start small: Begin by making a specific change each time you visit a fast food restaurant. For example, choose a side salad or grilled veggies instead of french fries.
- Link to a daily routine: Make ordering the side salad a part of your lunch routine. Whether you grab a quick bite at work or on the go, make the salad a staple in your lunch routine.
- Recognize and reward yourself: After each time you order the side salad, take a moment to acknowledge your accomplishment. Treat yourself to something minor, like a nibble of dark chocolate for example.
- Gradually add more behaviors: Add healthier options to your order over time. For example, swap out the regular bun for a whole grain option or grilled chicken instead of fried.
- Repeat the routine until it becomes a habit: Keep making small changes and acknowledge your progress until ordering healthier options at fast food restaurants becomes a habit.
Visit our recipe section for healthy eating inspiration!